As most of you will know, the only way to get ahead of the Instagram scheduling black hole is through using third party tools that offer pre-writing of post captions with an image, which then send out push notifications that remind you to post – still super time consuming and frustrating!
As of January 31 2018, Instagram announced on their blog that they had launched some new features on their Graph API, designed specifically to help businesses better manage their organic presence on Instagram! First, let’s take a quick look at the whole shebang:
- Content Publishing Beta [NEW] – Available to Facebook Marketing Partners and Instagram Partners only. Post an image to Feed with or without a caption.
- Business Discovery [NEW] – Discover and read the profile info and media of other business profiles.
- Mentions [NEW] – Read public media that a business has been photo tagged or @mentioned in. Post comments on a business’ behalf on media it was tagged or mentioned in.
- Insights – Help businesses access and analyse valuable metrics about their own Instagram business profile. Enable them to understand and optimise the performance of their organic content on Instagram.
- Comment Moderation – Drive interactions at scale. Enable businesses to more efficiently interact with their audience through comments under their media on Instagram.
Plus, future updates on the Instagram Graph API will include:
- Support for Non-Business Profiles [FUTURE]: Basic permissioning for non-business profiles will be supported in early 2019.
While they are all very exciting updates… the one social media managers everywhere are getting excited about is that #1 – Content Publishing BETA. This is loosely translated as “you can now schedule your Instagram posts”
Once you have stopped crying with joy, take a deep breath and read on…
Now when we suggested in our title “mostly” the caveat means, the official support for post scheduling doesn’t extend to ads and video posts. But who cares, we can schedule something now – it’s a magnificent start!!
Here’s the stuff you want to know:
- The support is being added to Instagram’s API. What this means is that third party social media software applications like Sprout Social, Hootsuite or SocialFlow now have access to the functionality, which they can (and will) add to their social management platforms.
- Hootsuite is the only one that has technically implemented the functionality as yet, however, it will not be long for other platforms to follow suit, so watch your supplier’s blog closely!
- Other updates to the Instagram Graph API included Business Discovery, which lets users view profile info of other businesses, and Mentions, which allows business profiles to view posts they’ve been tagged in. (we’ll talk more about this in our next post – it is almost as exciting as scheduling… almost)
- If you aren’t quite ready to upgrade your account to a business profile and use a third-party platform to schedule, don’t worry too much, Instagram says that the update will make its way to regular profiles by early 2019.
So basically, if you are a business that regularly posts photo content through your Instagram business profile and you are not presently using one of the Facebook Marketing Partners or Instagram Partner third party social management tools, you might want to jump on that pretty quick!
Suffice to say, we are pretty darn excited about this release. What about you? Will you use this opportunity to upgrade your profile to business and consider using a third-party platform to access this functionality? Tell us in the comments!